Wednesday, July 1, 2020

How to Write a Skit for kids- Example

Feel good - Free Christmas Script for middle graders



The True Meaning of Christmas - The Musical, A Free Christmas Script for children 9-12 years of age ~ by Lin Thomas


The Script below was enacted by 6th grade students. The content has been provided as a free resource for any other group of kids who would like to perform a Christmas play. ( The content maybe used for a performance but may not be reproduced in any format. All rights reserved)


Cast
The Delaney family:
Mr Harry Delaney ( Harry)
Mrs Gloria Delaney (Gloria)
Tim Delaney (Tim)
Becky Delaney (Becky )

The Jenkins family:
Mr David Jenkins ( David)
Mrs Ruby Jenkins (Mrs Jenkins)
Ryan Jenkins (Ryan)
Mary Jenkins (Mary)

Narrator (Priest)

(Opening Scene )
(Screen setup – 2 small tables or one large table in center back of stage, 2 laptops, game console, hand mirror on table. 3 stand mikes in front of the stage a little away from each other. Stage co-ordinators please switch OFF the mikes) (All dialogues were pre-recorded)

 

Priest : Good Evening everyone. I am Father Sebastian. Welcome to this musical extravaganza ~ called the True Meaning of Christmas - The musical. Our story consists of two families. The Delaneys and the Jenkins. Let us find out how they discovered the True Meaning of Christmas. It was the morning of Christmas eve.

(Music – Harry enters from left )
Mr Delaney : Hi , Everyone, I am Harry Delaney. I own half the manufacturing businesses in Virginia. (proud walk)

(Christmas music in background) (Suddenly surprised and looking out in distance to see where the music is coming from)

(Harry) What is with this Christmas celebrations.. Sigh !! If only we didn't have these holidays the productivity on that day would increase the gross income of my company by 12%.
I already told my staff to come to work on Christmas day.. Hah !! (Rubs hands in glee).. It is not mandatory .. but... my workers know that they can get laid off if I am upset.. Hahaha (evil laugh)

Priest : And this is the beautiful, sophisticated Mrs Gloria Delaney
(Music –Gloria catwalks walks to stage from right and goes to mike on the right)
Gloria : Hello Harry !! (cat-walking - stylishly dressed -posing).. Did you transfer the money for my solitaire ring. I also need a few new Louis Vuittons and some Prada shoes for this Christmas. I will spend the whole day today online .. they have great deals on my favorite brands on Christmas eve.

Harry : (bored look) - Sure !! What a waste of money - but whatever.
(Gloria moves back away from the mike checks her nails )

(Hip hop music – Enter Tim dancing from left and comes to mike on the left)
Tim: Dad I need a new bike and four new combo packs of PS3 games. This Christmas holiday, I need to perfect this new game. You can kill the enemy in 10 different ways.. How exciting !! I am going to do that today and tomorrow..

(Fashion music Enter Becky from right –Gloria has moved back away from the mike –so Becky can be near mike on right)

Becky : Dad , Mom, I need a new car as this one isn't as stylish as before. I also just broke my second IPad - so I need a new one.

(Pause 2 seconds (Walking around)
(Becky) Tomorrow my favorite salon Georgina is CLOSED.. I will spend the Christmas eve getting this new jazzy hairdo .. I need to have purple hair with purple nails.

Harry : (bored look) - Sure !! What a waste of money - but whatever ..

Harry: Since tomorrow is a holiday , I better spend the rest of today playing with the stock market. I can make so much more money for my family.

Song - fav things
Becky – Latest in fashion for a beautiful girl
Tim- The fastest of bikes and gadgets galore
Becky: Beautiful diamonds and nice precious rings
Becky: These are a few of my favorite things
Gloria: Emeralds, sapphires and red shining rubies
Gloria: Diamonds and precious pearl necklaces
Henry: Stock market gains make me want to sing
Henry: These are a few of my favorite things
Gloria: Fashionable shoes and handbags of leather
Tim: A superfast bike that will make me look cooler
Henry: A big bank balance, cash bonds it will bring
Henry: These are a few of my favorite things


(Delaney parents go to laptops and act out actions. Tim moves around playing with console. Becky looks in mirror walks around)

Priest: So the Delaney family spent Christmas eve -in the way they planned it. They got all their gifts. Harry Delaney spent the whole day working with stocks, making more money for his family. He didn't want any gift. Gloria spent the day shopping at supersonic speed. Tim was locked up in his room perfecting his killing skills.. and Becky made sure she looked super cool for Christmas.

(Priest move out and Delaney family come forward near mikes)

Harry: I made $20,000 today .. but I still feel something is missing... My family only wants my money. (sighs)

Gloria: I got my Prada shoes at 20% off.. but I am still not happy. Something is missing..

Tim: I got the highest scores in my game- but I feel tired and lost .. I feel sad..

Becky: I look supercool .. but I feel lonely .. Nobody has time for me.. (sighs)

All: Why is Christmas so boring and sad !!! We got our presents.. What is missing - Is this the meaning of Christmas ???????

(Priest walks into the stage from left)

Priest.. Hello !! I am Father Sebastian.. Come let me take you to another place...

(All follow priest out of stage to left) Make stage dark Parents set up Jenkins dinner table by removing laptops, adding Tablecloth, big containers, fruits) Also place Violin, Viola and Keyboard on stage on a chair or same table/ floor / or stand at the right hand back.

(Stage co-ordinators please stop dialogue CD if stage is not ready as yet)

(Jenkins family except David, enters from right and are on stage - – then turn lights ON - busy doing something around the house when silent night music is going on.)
When music is still going on- Delaney family enters from right and watches Jenkins family. Back row Priest, Harry ,Becky

(When music ends, David enters from right and goes near right mike.)

Mr Jenkins : Hello Ruby, children.. I am home!!
(Ryan and Mary come running happily to Mr Jenkins.) Hey Daddy - Merry Christmas!!

(Pause 2 sec) (Mrs Jenkins comes running -wipes hand on apron and near mike )
(Mrs Jenkins use left mike )Mrs Jenkins : Hi David, What a pleasant surprise.. I am so glad to see you home. Didn't Mr Delaney say you need to work the entire Christmas week.

(David) Mr Jenkins: Yes dear.. but my supervisor said I could take off- if I find a replacement.. My dear friend Mark agreed to work in my place.. Mr Delaney only cares for the profits.. It doesn't matter - as long as the work is complete.

Ryan: What a mean boss you have!!.. Mr Delaney doesn't pays you even half of what you deserve.

(Mary – middle mike –shared with Ryan )Mary: I hope he doesn't enjoy his Christmas

Mrs Jenkins: Don't say that children. It is Christmas time - It is a time for sharing , caring and forgiving.

Ryan : Yes, you are right.. We have all this wonderful food that we should thank God for..

Mary: And we have wonderful parents like you.. who love us so much.. (hugs Mrs Jenkins)

Song – fav things 2
Mary – Presents of hope and love that we share
Ryan- Simple good gestures that show that we care
Mr Jenkins: Quality Family time in the evenings
Mr Jenkins: These are a few of my favorite things
Mary: Bright happy smiles, a friendship that gives
Ryan: Words that inspire , a heart that forgives
Mrs Jenkins: Christmas time - what joy it will bring

Mrs Jenkins : These are a few of my favorite things
Mrs Jenkins: Do you know what the greatest gift of all is - It is the Gift of Baby Jesus. God sent out his son so he can live with us. We should all thank God for the many blessings he has given us.
Mr Jenkins: Yes, the best present you can give each other is Love.
Mr Jenkins: And let us thank Mr Delaney too - because if it wasn't for this job- we would not be able to afford this food either.

Show praying actions around the table. ( Then they happily eat and have fun at the dinner table.. )

When the Jenkins family is eating, Delaney family quickly come near all the mikes.

Becky and Gloria stand near right mike , Harry and Tim share the middle mike and Priest left mike

(Mr Delaney wipes a tear.. and they all look at each other)

Becky: I think we should buy some presents for the Jenkins family this Xmas.

Harry: I think I should give Mr Jenkins a salary raise this Xmas.

Tim: Why don’t we celebrate Christmas with the Jenkins family ?

Priest left mike: That is a wonderful idea.

Leave  and return with packages.

(Enter into the scene -with gift packages.. )

Tim: Can we join you to celebrate Xmas?
(Jenkins family all surprised -and receive all the presents... All excitedly chatter.. .) Gloria comes forward to right mike

Gloria: (tells all) In buying all the presents - we forgot that Jesus is the best GIFT of

ALL . and this is the time for all of us to spend time with each other- and thank God for giving us this wonderful present of Lord Jesus...

Mary: I have a great idea.. let us celebrate by singing together...

Mrs Jenkins : How about singing Away in a Manger? Do you all know that?

All : Yes, we all do..

Each person - I can play the Viola..

I can play the keyboard..

Becky: What a wonderful idea.. this is going to be fun..

Christmas Carol- Away in a Manger

Away in a manger - Song (performed by all kids)


Becky: That was wonderful .. I really enjoyed that song ... Thank-you Jesus for bringing us this joyful Christmas..After all spending time with family and friends is the best way to celebrate Christmas..

Ryan :Yes !! And Jesus did not have any luxuries. Just a stable with no bed.
We must always remember that the true meaning of Christmas is not in the presents but the feeling of love and togetherness.

Ryan : Do you guys have any other fun idea..

Mary : how about a dance??

Ryan : Oh no- I can;t dance..

Tim: Yes ,you can .. just try it out ..its lots of fun..


Christmas Carol- Carols of the bells - Dance




Costumes
Mr Harry Delaney ( Harry) (black suit/ pants/ hat) (Props- old laptop, – empty shoe box wrapped in gift paper)
Mrs Gloria Delaney (Gloria) ( bag / fur /stylish clothes) (Props- old laptop, – empty shoe box wrapped in gift paper)
Tim Delaney (Tim) (Props – empty shoe box wrapped in gift paper)
Becky Delaney (Becky – Props- hand mirror )
Mr David Jenkins ( David - work clothes)
Mrs Ruby Jenkins (Mrs Jenkins –setup for dinner table)
Ryan Jenkins (Ryan)
Mary Jenkins (Mary) Props –Keyboard
Narrator (Priest outfit, bible)


(This skit was performed by the wonderful 6th grade students of St Jude in Virginia in December 2011)

1 comment: